Saturday, March 8, 2008

March 8, 2008

March 8, 2008

We left Majuro on February 25, 2008 about 8p.m. in the evening. We got on the plane and taxied to the end of the runway. The pilot ran the engines up on the Continental 737/800/900 and away we went down the runway. As we rotated I turned to Sister Patten and said “Goodbye Majuro.” We were sitting in the front of the plane in the bulkhead seats 5A and 5C. A few seconds later we heard a “bang, bang noise. For a moment I thought the gear was having trouble retracting but I realized that we had lost the right engine on takeoff. The pilot quickly leveled the plane and the head flight attendant came hoofing it down the isle saying over and over “we’ll be alright, we’ll be alright, we’ll be alright.” I wasn’t all that sure if she was trying to convince us or herself. Anyway the pilot did a great job and we made about a half an hour big wide circle back to Majuro where we enjoyed an uneventful landing. The passengers on the right side of the plane seated by the engine and many people on the ground could see flames shooting out of the engine before we lost it. Sister Patten seemed rather calm but did look at me kind of strangely when I asked her if she remembered how to put her life jacket on. We went back to the mission home and stayed the rest of the night and they brought a replacement airplane the next morning. We did notice that some of the passengers apparently decided not to go the next morning.
We had wanted to spend a full day in Hawaii to pick up some things but didn’t get there and to Costco and Walmart until about 6p.m. the next day. We had shipped some things and so had room to put a few things in our bags. We thought of an electric fry pan and realize since arriving in Christmas that will be a blessing.
We got up the next morning and left Hawaii the next day about 12p.m. and arrived in Christmas at 3p.m. on February 27, 2008. We were met by the Newbys and waved at President Bleak as he reboarded the airplane on his way to Fiji.
We moved into our cottage and the Newby’s slept in a kia kia until they left March 5, 2008 with a group of 30 members going to the Fiji temple. The Newbys will attend the temple and fly home to Boise via LAX on the 12th.
The Newby's have been here for 19 months and have done a good job. By the time that they left we were on training overload and they were happy to get on the plane for home.
I was able to go on a fishing trip on the first Saturday here. True to form I never caught a fish but then again my expectations aren’t very high when it comes to fishing. I think I can learn.
We have been invited to dinner four times since we arrived here. Raw fish, cooked fish, breadfruit, rice, and even a little pork. We have enjoyed just fixing a little something for ourselves the last few nites. We can get most staples here. A boat comes once a month and a air freighter comes once a month also. The air freighter brings things from Hawaii. They pick it up from Costco, and we pay about 3times what they buy it for there. The church gives us perks for being out here so I think it about evens out money wise.
We were told that this is one of the most remote places in the world to serve a mission.
The people here are wonderful. They are Micronesian but I think they appear to me to be more Polynesian in their ways. Their music and dancing, etc. remind me of the South Seas. I tell Sister Patten that we are in “The other side of heaven” for senior couples.
The beaches are so much better than Majuro. The ocean and the lagoons are so beautiful. Majuro is cosmopolitan compared to Christmas. The main supermarket is about 20 x 20 feet. Anything fresh is very expensive. I think I paid almost $20 for two nice green cabbages the other day.
We think that there is much to be done here. Dividing the branch. Organizing a district. Helping the less active return to church. Sister Patten has been trying to make the cottage more like home so guess who had to lay linolium all day. She lined all the cupboards and washed everything on site. We have stocked up on food not wanting to run out if the ship or plane comes in late next month. We make our own bread, hang our clothes out on the line and shower, do dishes and wash clothes in well water. We do have a filter for drinking water so we don't have to boil it. The missionarie live just in back of us and we all live on the fenced in church grounds. We are planning to go out teaching with them soon. We have a lot of shadow leadership to do, as well as an english class and temple class. Actually this branch has very good leadership abilities and have been trained well, we just need to keep it up and add to it. The people are very loveable here always have smile and are so humble which makes them teachable.
We love you all. The Church is true. We love being on a mission. We feel your prayers for us and want you to know that we pray for all of you also. Elder and Sister Patten

1 comment:

NEWBY FAMILY EST IN 1979 said...

I JUST HAVE TO SAY, 2 MONTHS LATER, THAT I MISS THE ISLAND AND AM SO VERY GLAD TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH YOU AND SEE YOUR WONDERFUL WORK... OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU, THE BRANCH AND THE ELDERS.
GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS IN ALL THAT YOU DO!